Re: New Fish Room -Reply

>>- No windows. I know the fish look great in natural sunlight but the
darn algae doesn't.<<

My space hass a well window near the top.  There's a plastic cover
over the well on the outside so it only gets indirect light in the room.

>>- A sink big enough for a 10G tank.<<

Unfortunately, my plumbing arrangement in the basement won't allow for
a sink in the same room (unless I want to rent a jackhammer to install a
new drain line.  But I will be putting a sink in the basment and I will be
installing a kitchen counter top next to and perpendicular to it.  I'm going to
install the counter top at a hieght equal to the top of the sink.  This will
give ne a good wwork ssurface for tanks and such.  FWIW, the counter
is also were my fermentors will be when I'm brewing a batch of
homebrew!

The fishroom/workshop (Oh! Did i forget to mention that this will be my
workshop too!) does have the house sump pump in the corner.  This will
at least protect me from accidental water spills.  I'm also considering
using it as a drain for waste water, but I'm sure this is a good idea,
espacially in the winter.

Any thoughts?

>>- I would also love to figure out a good cheap way to be able to slide
the tanks out of racks to clean them.<<

Empty tanks or full tanks?  I can't think of a cheap way to handle full
tanks.  Ed Warner, a 40 year killie keeper in Rockford, IL., has a great
system for cleaning his tanks (about 200).  He nets the fish out and puts
them into new tanks.  He than marks the dirty tanks with a grease pencil.
A local neighborhhod kid comes in once a week and cleans the tanks
that are marked and refills them.  Of course these are all bare tanks for
raising killies for sale.  But it is a nice idea to have someone else clean
tanks. <g>

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson