Re: nijsseni aggro and spawning

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Simone Vicini wrote:

> The female is getting very,very stressed even if in the tank there are
> hiding places for almost 10 nijsseni.
> The male wants to kill also the cardinal tetras, but he can reach only the
> slow swimming female.
> I was thinking about bying one more female too see what happens or maybe I
> can buy another pair or maybe a ram wild caight pair to act as dithers and
> at the same time I could try to breed even them.

Simone,

I actually did this with a pair of nijsseni once, and that is too add an
extra female.  One ended up pairing of with the male and the other was a
target female.  The problem is 1) the cost of the fish.  This was an extra
female fry I had 2)you need to be around enough to pull the extra out if
things get too bad.  ie...if she spends all her time in the top back
corner (or any corner) of the tank pull her out.

Having a tank with lots of hiding places is good too.  I usually keep them
in heavily planted tanks.

You could try extra hiding places before adding more fish.  Just some
ideas, I find I may need to try several things for a pair before finding
the working solution.

Good Luck

Kathy