Re: Mazarunia et al

Piabinha@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/22/1998 11:10:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> phaughian@shaw.wave.ca writes:
>
> > I keep these guys......I have 4 or 5 in my 230g tank, we have been
> >  looking for them all over lately they are one of the best fish out there
>
> do you mean the C. maroni (1 i or 2 ii's???)

2 ii's - Cleithracara maronii

> , or the Mazarunia????  Mazarunias
> are very rare, as the others have said!!!!
>
> vinny wrote:
>
> >YOWZA! A 7-inch Keyhole?!  I wannit!
> >Actually Keyholes are smaller than that.  Geezers occasionally get 5 maybe 6
> inches.
>
> and the wise man wrote:
>
> >Where did you get the idea that Cleithracara maronii gets 7 inches long!
> >Most books say anywhere between 4 and 5 inches. A 7 incher must be on
> steroids!
> >Regardless of size, the Keyhole Cichlids is one of the shyest, most peaceful
> >cichlids known.
>
> sorry about my mistake re: size of keyholes.  i sometimes have trouble with
> inches (alright, no jokes about it...), i'm still living in the metric system
> although i have been in the u.s. for 14 years now (grew up in brazil).   i was
> probably thinking of B. cupido.  do they get to be 7" long?

I wish the U.S. would get its act together and go metric, too (must be a bunch of
Francophobes running the government). Virtually everything made in the U.S. that
might be exported is made in metric anyway. Yes, Biotodoma cupido can reach 7" (18
cm).

> the wise man also wrote:
>
> >Besides, they're not really one of the more spectacular looking fish.
>
> but they are so cute!  brown is beautiful!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (see photos in Mayland and Bork). Who am I to
criticize anyone's idea of beauty.

> also, isn't there another new genus out there, Tatinsuhayo, or something like
> that???

Yes, Tahuantinsuyoa (say that 3 time fast) is a small (to 8 cm/3-1/8 ", but larger
in aquariums) genus related to the genus Bujurquina. Both genera have internal
features that indicate that they may be more closely related to the 'Aequidens'
rivulatus-group of the west slope Andes than the Amazonian cichlasomines. There
are two species, T. macantzatza and T. chipi. Both are biparental delayed
mouthbrooders.

> (sorry for being such a pest and keep asking questions about fish i don't even
> keep),

How else does one learn!

> tsuh yang chen, nyc (enjoying the N. anomala

One of my favorites!