From: Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>
To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com <apisto@majordomo.pobox.com>
Date: Friday, October 23, 1998 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: Mazarunia et al

:
:Piabinha@aol.com wrote:
:
:> In a message dated 10/22/1998 11:10:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
:> phaughian@shaw.wave.ca writes:
:>
:> > I keep these guys......I have 4 or 5 in my 230g tank, we have been
:> >  looking for them all over lately they are one of the best fish out
there
:>
:> do you mean the C. maroni (1 i or 2 ii's???)
:
:2 ii's - Cleithracara maronii
:
:> , or the Mazarunia????  Mazarunias
:> are very rare, as the others have said!!!!
:>
:> vinny wrote:
:>
:> >YOWZA! A 7-inch Keyhole?!  I wannit!
:> >Actually Keyholes are smaller than that.  Geezers occasionally get 5
maybe 6
:> inches.
:>
:> and the wise man wrote:
:>
:> >Where did you get the idea that Cleithracara maronii gets 7 inches long!
:> >Most books say anywhere between 4 and 5 inches. A 7 incher must be on
:> steroids!
:> >Regardless of size, the Keyhole Cichlids is one of the shyest, most
peaceful
:> >cichlids known.
:>
:> sorry about my mistake re: size of keyholes.  i sometimes have trouble
with
:> inches (alright, no jokes about it...), i'm still living in the metric
system
:> although i have been in the u.s. for 14 years now (grew up in brazil).
i was
:> probably thinking of B. cupido.  do they get to be 7" long?
:
:I wish the U.S. would get its act together and go metric, too (must be a
bunch of
:Francophobes running the government). Virtually everything made in the U.S.
that
:might be exported is made in metric anyway. Yes, Biotodoma cupido can reach
7" (18
:cm).
:
:> the wise man also wrote:
:>
:> >Besides, they're not really one of the more spectacular looking fish.
:>
:> but they are so cute!  brown is beautiful!
:
:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (see photos in Mayland and Bork). Who
am I to
:criticize anyone's idea of beauty.
:
:> also, isn't there another new genus out there, Tatinsuhayo, or something
like
:> that???
:
:Yes, Tahuantinsuyoa (say that 3 time fast) is a small (to 8 cm/3-1/8 ", but
larger
:in aquariums) genus related to the genus Bujurquina. Both genera have
internal
:features that indicate that they may be more closely related to the
'Aequidens'
:rivulatus-group of the west slope Andes than the Amazonian cichlasomines.
There
:are two species, T. macantzatza and T. chipi. Both are biparental delayed
:mouthbrooders.
:
:> (sorry for being such a pest and keep asking questions about fish i don't
even
:> keep),
:
:How else does one learn!
:
:> tsuh yang chen, nyc (enjoying the N. anomala
:
:One of my favorites!
:
:> mommies herding the swarms of
:> little pests they are raising)
:>
:> For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
:> email apisto-request@majordomo.pobox.com.
Archives"!
:
: