A gibbiceps

Hey, just had to share..

Picked up some stray apisto's 3 weeks ago, 5 that came in with some
dicrossus.  I knew the dicrossus were sick so I stuck them in a five
gallon isolation tank, bare except a PVC L, and five white cloud babies
for dithers.  It was an established tank...other than the fact it was
essentially bare.  Immediatelly 3 of the 5 died within the first two days.
I was too busy to muck with antibiotics, so I just did frequent water
changes and the other two survived.  Turned out to be a male gibbiceps and
what looked like a female gibbiceps but not really black ventrals.  I
figured great some more stray males.

About 5 days ago I decided to add to the tank a wounded P. Suboccellatus
matadi female.  She is a great spawning female and scraped her dorsal fin
on a cave entrance...looked like it was getting superinfected...she was in
Eriks crypt tank which meant I couldn't do much with salt and antibiotics
for fear of melting the crypts.  Not good for spousal relations..

So, I put her in the 5 gallon with the gibbis.  Adding 1 t salt and
antibiotics all looked good.

Then I left home for all of 36 hours.  Came home today to a beat up
suboccellatus, top corner.  Put her back in the water, figuring she was
just on her last leg.  And then two apisto bullets came after her.  Well
it wasn't her...its was them.  I couldn't figure out why, then I noticed
the yellow color with the black dot....duh.   They spawned in the PVC L,
I had to look,  and there are 40 eggs...we'll see if they last after all
of the disruption. Pulled
the suboocellatus out and 3 of the white clouds so there is less fish to
pick off fry.

I still can't believe I spawned gibbiceps in a bare bones 5 gallon tank
and no plants.  Surprise to me.

I am dancing around the house though, I have wanted to spawn this fish for
awhile.  Gave up earlier this year when I could never find a female.
Figured I would just have to go to Florida and visit Mike Jacobs for the
right fish.

Sorry its so long.  Just was so excited, I wanted to share.

Kathy