Brooding colors of Apisto females.

Hello all!

I have just recently recieved some beutiful fish from Julio Melgar and I have
a question regarding "breeding colors"
Do females exclusively aquire their bright yellow colors when they have a
clutch or shortly before they lay the eggs or could they be yellow at other
times, like when their just happy.
The issue is that I have two female A. sp. "Pebas" (like A. Rot-punkt
suposedly but I think they look more like Macmasteri at this point their only
4-5cm in length) one is bright yellow and sort-of guarding a up-turned pot.
She is not very commited, ie eats with everyone else etc.. But the pot is also
in a peaceful spot and her tankmates don't bother her much.
The other female is more brownish, so I know there is a distinct difference in
color.
The male that I noticed displaying to her a few days ago (friday) now has
nothing to do with her. I seriously doubt that she is brooding, but I cannot
see into the pot. I have been curious about brooding colors before and thought
it would be a good time to bring it up.
Comments have been dropped about this in other threads, but I wasn't sure
exactly under what conditions they turned yellow.

--tarah