RE: A. steindachneri

><<Fish are almost impossible to ship into Australia, not because of the
>technical
>problems, but the bureaucratic ones. Unless you have an Aussie approved
>quarantine
>station outside of the country, all fish have to be quarantined at a
>government
>regulated and approved in-country quarantine station for several months. I
>guess we
>North American hobbyists shouldn't complain about access, should we? This
>would be a
>good thread for our Aussie friends to vent their spleens at government
>excesses and
>give the rest of us some idea of what could happen here?
>>>

>Like most of even the stupidest SEEMING govornment regulations, there is a
>logical reason for such a seemingly

Some of this information is incorrect.  Here in Australia, in order to
receive shipments from overseas, the exporting facility MUST be an
Australian Government approved quarantine facility (and hold the
appropriate export to Australia permit) and the receiving facility MUST
also be an Australian Government approved quarantine facility (and hold
a Quarantine permit AND and import permit).  On top of that, ALL fish
imported must go through 14 day quarantine in this country and have to
have also been in quarantine in the approved exporting facility for 14
days also.

To add frustration to all this, to become an approved Quarantine
facility, everything HAS to be sterile, all imported water/packaging
must be sterilised/destroyed - through approved/detailed methods.  The
space between tanks in the facility have to be a minimum 75 cms wide,
and each tank must be permanently numbered and individual records MUST
be kept on what/and from where/and when stock have been in a individual
tank.  Also, only one species is allowed per tank.  Also imported stock
must be large enough to be positively identified and if not identifiable
by a Australian Quarantine inspector then that stock will be destroyed.

Unless some scientific reason/research permits have been granted, no
fish can be imported from a non approved foreign facility.

Oh and any species thats going to be imported MUST appear on the
approved import list.  If it doesn't appear as an approved import, good
luck to the person who wants to challange Environment Australia's
ruling...

Heck even if we ship stock to/from Tasmania (a State of Australia) it is
considered to be exported/imported even though its still within
Australia.

Hey even Brine Shrimp Cysts have to go through a VERY rigorous process
before being approved for import, the foreign facility must treat the
cysts with bleach rinses and various other processes before even getting
Government approval to export them to australia.

This, In my opinion, is total beauracracy... If anybody wants me to send
them the digital documentation I have received from AQIS (Australian
Quarantine Inspection Services) I can send you a copy, email me
personally.

Cheers
Matt