Re: New Fish Room -Reply

Fkdyorbich@aol.com wrote:

> In fact I've gotten all of the drilled tanks, and bulk heads and was ready to
> set everything in motion, until I talked to several friends and we discussed
> the problems with freshwater Centralized systems...
>
> the biggest is I breed Tanganyikan Cichlids.. I know you're an apisto guy..
> but the main problem is that, a lot of F0 fish contain unknown untreatable
> diseases... which I deal with sometimes... and that can spread like wild
> fire...
>
> UNLESS.. you use UV sterilzers... which I'd recommend...

Another possibility would be to treat the water with ozone (about the
best germicide
known to mankind!) instead of UV. But in either case you're taking a
chance with
cross contamination which is why I'd be tempted to keep the breeders on
a separate
system (If I lose all the fry, I'm out of business for a couple months.
If I lose the
breeders, I'm out of business for a year or more!) or at the VERY least,
strictly quarantine
all new specimens (F0 or not!) and treat for any expected diseases (gill
flukes and
intestinal parasites can pretty much be guaranteed with many South
American specimens).

Definitely something to plan for, but I don't think that it's
necessarily an insurmountable
problem. Especially not for most smaller breeders.

-- dj