Re: Rams de-selection

Ken wrote :
>> At 07:20 AM 11/2/98 -0600, Lilia Stepanova wrote:
>> > I am pulling
> >>eggs from mine, it may be controversial but they ate their eggs before.
> >
>> By doing this you are developing a strain that will not tend their
brood.
>> I hope you are destroying them before they breed.  The failure to do
brood
>> care is a very undesireable characteristic.  If these were the last
>> remaining examples, it might be justifiable, but for rams????

>Sadly, I think this is already the case.  I agree with you
>though that fish lose their instinct to care for their fry.
>Most angel fry are raised away from their parents as they
>tend to eat the eggs.

<>
Hi, i find this question interesting.
If we agree for the postulate that cichlids are intelligent fishes, able
to learn by avoiding previous errors,

Do you think that the fishes born from eggs hatched without their
parents won't be able to breed their youngs, because they didn't learn
it when they were young (very young fry) ? (environnemental learning
selection)
Do you think that they won't be able to do it because of genetical
selection by less environmental pressure, according that the surviving
fry of a natural brood should (?!) be better parent ? (pressure
selection)

Or do you think that they won't be able to learn to breed their fry
because they lost the capacity by cosanguinity ? Or maybe they'll be
able to learn...

I hope you understood my questions, i'm not a genetic nor an english
pro.
This is a question to us : little semi-gods aquarists.

Colin