rams, rudeness and research

Right now, my wild aggassizii Alenquer are guarding their tenth spawn.
They've eaten nine. I assume the conditions are wrong, and adjust them.
My wild njisseni are raising fry, this on their third try. The wild
panduro  just munched number four, but I know their water's too hard.
Maybe it'll rain soon. Or maybe the wild parents got picked off by
predators and my wild stock hasn't learned. It's always a possibility,
for the sake of debate.
My wild rams are in the same pattern, and I've adjusted things again,
even if i thought they were right. Believe it or not, eventually, I
usually succeed with my apistos.
So is the problem genetics or imprinting, or is it conditions, or is it
all of the above? Think of all the soundly argued theories on sex ratios
Uwe Romer disproved with his study. The genetic or imprinting argument
about rams is the going one in the hobby, and it seems sensible to me,
but before we start going aboard each other and insulting other list
members, I think we should consider that we may well be wrong. One
factor - a combination - light - diet, crowding - learning the variables
is part of the fun of all this.
I'd say we be civil and try to figure this out together as a group of
intelligent people with varying degrees of experience but lots of
curiosity. I've seen great lists fall apart from simple impoliteness or
lack of care in phrasing opinions before.
There, I've dropped my dime (Canadian, worth 6 cents U.S.)
-Gary