Re: Rams de-selection

In a message dated 11/5/98 8:35:40 PM, RDotta7777@aol.com writes:

<<Lorenz did the earliest documented experiments with the ducks that followed
him instead of their rightful mom because he was the first they saw.  This
experiment does show that there is some form of imprinting that occurs very
early in life.  The theory that I like to believe is that genetic code in
every individual (including fish) gives the animal the capability to adapt to
the surroundings afforded it.  >>

Minor quibble, it was geese, not ducks, as I remember.  More to the point, I
don't think that anyone has demonstrated imprinting behavior in fish.  The
theory that a fish raised away from its' parents cannot properly raise its'
own offspring has been in the hobby for a long time, and probably originated
with Angel or Discus breeders.
My own feeling is that the ability of a pair to successfully raise its young
has more to do with conditions present at time of spawning than anything else.
Listening to others one the list relate their experiences tends to corroborate
that viewpoint.
Persuasive arguments can be made for other viewpoints, as well.  I guess until
someone does some good experiments and settles it once and for all you pays
your money and takes your chance.
Jeff