Re: ramirezi and altispinosa

> I have a pair of Altisinosas that are quite big (about 3 inches).  In fact, they spawned yesterday in my 29 gallon community tank.
>Do Altispinosa's have the same problem raising young as regular Rams?
For the several years that I kept this species, ALL the breeders raised
their own fry.

>     I could move the eggs to a 10 gal. tank, but the tank has a half dozen Nannacara fry that are about 1/4 inch long.  Any suggestions here?  Would the Nannacaras eat the B. Ram eggs or fry?
Yes. The Nannacara fry will eat the eggs. If you really want to do this,
hang a basket on the tank and place a fish net (with close webbing) in
the basket. Then place the eggs in the net. (I do this for all my pl*co
eggs since I keep them in the parents tank (no problem with making sure
I have the same water quality) until they are free swimming.

>    The community tank has 1 big angel, and about a dozen dither fish, such as Pristilla Tetras, pencil fish, Copeina arnoldi). At this point I am thinking of just leaving the parents and eggs in the larger tank and moving the young after they grow a bit.  Thoughts?
If these fish are in the same tank as your altispinosa, you won't have
fry for long. If you want the parents to take care of their eggs/fry,
you will need to put the pair in their own tank. (I used a 20 gallon
tank) and place it where there is not a lot of light. With mine, they
liked the subdued lighting and wouldn't spawn with a light over their
tank. You can also take the eggs and place them like I suggested above
and hang the basket in this tank.

(The basket keeps any fish from attacking the eggs through the net.)

Kaycy