Sick male?

  I have three rotpunkt apistos in a twenty gallon aquarium with other fish
and some plants.  The male is breathing heavy and looks like he might have a
small cut just above his gill plate.  I have been trying to use DYI co2 but
it just won't work.  There is no surface agitation because I was trying to
keep the co2 from dissolving into the atm.

  Should I forget about the co2 and put my spray-bar back in?  If this guy
dies, I'm pretty sure one of the others is a male (juvinule colors), but I
would rather keep this dominant male if possible.

Any suggestions?

   JJJJJJJJJJ
       JJ
       JJ