foster parents

No. Same genus seems to be the best. I once had an excellent trio of A.
resticulosa that would never squabble, never eat their spawns and stack
spawns on top of one another. At least one female was always tending fry and
it was quite a simple matter to add the fry to her shoal of babies. I would
first acclimate the foster-fry to the water conditions of the resticulosa
tank, using a knotted piece of airline and slowly dripping the water into a
small holding tank. When acclimation was complete, the entire contents of
the holding tank was poured directly down onto the female and her fry,
effectively mixing the foster-fry with her own.  I have foster-raised A.
macmasteri, A njisseni, A. caetei.  I once even foster raised (just for fun)
some Victorian Haplochromis with a brooding pair of Archocentrus sajica- the
sajica never ate the haps, and would actually try to herd them into the fry
shoal, the haps were quite confused- being mouthbrooders and not used to
parental care of the Cichlasomine-kind.
- Steve Waldron