Humidifier, was Re: New Fish Room

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Beverly Erlebacher wrote:

> Dehumidifier water is iffy.  THese units usually have copper or aluminum
> condensation coils that may contaminate the condensed moisture.  Also, they
> tend to grow fungi and collect dust that gets into the water.
>
> Two ways to reduce humidity and condensation are (1) keep all tanks
> covered and (2) heat the room rather than the tanks.  Insulate the room
> if necessary.  If the walls and other surfaces are warm, moisture won't
> condense on them.  You could also install an exhaust fan if heating isn't
> an issue.

I'll second this.  I bought a dehumidifier back in my last apartment
because the place constantly had condensate on the doors and windows all
winter, and the place smelled like a bog.  I only had three tanks at the
time!  However, one of them was semi-open at the top.  In our house now,
we have 25 tanks, but none are open; full glass over most.  The
dehumidifier is now an expensive door stop.

   - Erik
   (just got back, and finished 192 messages!)

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com