Re: species flock -Reply -Reply

Jeff,

I think you're right. I believe the original apistos were generalized regani-group
like fish. Isolation into widespread refugia led to changes at the species-group
level but not very many different species. It was during the wetter periods that
these relatively few species could expand their ranges, invade new ecological
niches, and create even more species variations. With each subsequent retreat of
the rain forest most of these species were lost, but those that survived speciated
again (possibly at the sub-species-group/complex level) to form even more varied
species during the next wet cycle.

Mike Wise