Re: Humidifier, was Re: New Fish Room

>> Dehumidifier water is iffy.  THese units usually have copper or aluminum
>> condensation coils that may contaminate the condensed moisture.

The dehumidifier is now an expensive door stop.

I agree.  There are cheaper ways of obtaining soft water (and cheaper
doorstops).  Iīve never tested dehumidifier water for metals, but I
understand that tannic acid in the tanks (leaching from bogwood and oak
leaves) forms insoluble precipitates with metal salts. Tannic acid was
(is?) even used as antidote against heavy metal intoxications.  I use water
from the dehumidifier at home (4 gl./day) and havenīt had problems so far.

Peter
plasticolor@guate.net