Re: Dominant male or lack of.. ???

In a message dated 11/14/98 8:08:43 PM, mikeymeyer@sprintmail.com writes:

<<One
interesting species that does this is the Mexican Rock Wrasse (Saltwater
fish).  The dominate male has a much more different coloration than the
rest of the group.  I would assume others do this as well.>>

I think the situation may be a little different.  In most saltwater Wrasse
species only the dominant fish becomes male.  The subdominant fish are
females, functionally as well as visually.  If the male dies or is otherwise
removed, the dominant female will become a functional male.  This is different
from Apisto.'s, where the subdominant males may appear to be female or
juvenile in coloration, but are still functional males.
Jeff.