Dominant male or lack of.. ???

Hi Folks

I bought a group of 6 A. agassizii juveniles (4 males,2 females - was
meant to be the other way around.) about 5 months ago and put them in my
4 ft community tank.  The dominant male developed beautiful colours and
finnage and was significantly bigger than the other males.

I then moved the dominant male and female to a breeding tank on their
own where they happily settled in to spawn just as i was leaving for
holidays.

When I got back from holidays the dominant male had died (cause
unknown), and I moved one of the other males in with the female.

My problem is this:  its been two + months since the subdominants have
been separated from the dominant male but none of them show any real
signs of developing colour/size/finnage.  Is this a trait that only
develops while the fish are younger.

Even the male alone in the breeding tank with the female is still
showing his sub-dominant colours.

Will the female breed with him, should I let them breed??

Is there any way to encourage the development?  Should I put them all
back into the community tank?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Steph