Re: humilis

Mike Downey wrote:

>  In fact, I walked by a tankful last week - beautiful Guinea
> >humilis, yellow and red and purple - a morph I'd never tried. I looked,
> >I admired, I left. I'm proud...
> >I've had the same poor luck with atahulpa, although I gave up after two
> >tries. From now on, if for some strange reason I want to see carnage,
> >I'll watch cartoons.
> >-Gary
>
> The Guinea are my passion and have cost me small fortunes in shipping and
> purchasing. They can kill faster and easier than a croc. As for color the
> males are the most beautiful plum purple with yellow fins and the females
> are accented with silvery white on the tail and irridesent hot pink and
> lime green on the flanks. Not to mention the glowing pink to red belly!!
>
> I will not but them again! X 100 ----------------------------maybe
> MikeD

Hi Mike,
Just for the badness of it, I have to share this with you - these
weren't the lovely purple morph - they were something else...
Those purple fish are astonishing , but this was a more traditional
humilis. I still won't buy the ^%$^#$!
For Charles - I've had Liberian Red and Kasewe Forest where the females
courted endlessly. They even cohabited the same cave with dominant
males. Any other Pelvicachromis or nanochromis would have spawned with
such behaviour - they didn't. I think that's how they became such a
fascination for me - you can get very close and yet...
In soft, acid water, their colours intensified, but the behavior
remained the same as in local tap (pH 7.4, 140ppm). It didn't seem to
change much. Nor did diet or temperature.
The males just want to kill things. The dithers may keep them busy, but
in the confines of a tank, eventually the female's going to swim into a
corner, he'll pass and boom. Give me a taeniatus any day.
I think we've already had a thread about atahualpa/sunset behavioral
atrocities...
-Gary