Re: R: check the photo and ID please

> I forgot to write the URL, Am I stupid????
I'd never suggest a thing like that.....

> So I took the photos of my nijsseni, can you please tell me if I'm
> correct in my identification.

> The photos are not very good, but I hope you can tell me what species
> I have for sure.
Simone, the top three, the ones with the spot on their side, appear to
be a female A. nijsseni in spawning coloration, but could potentially be
a female A. panduro. (Can someone else clarify?)

The lower three photos, the ones with the vertical bars and the purplish
patch on the ventral half near the caudal peduncle appear to be a
maturing A. nijsseni male. They could potentially be of a fully mature,
non-dominant male as well. One identifying characteristic is the red
edging to the caudal fin. Also, the purple on the ventral half of their
sides is an indication of sexual maturity and will eventually cover the
entire length of the body. (See our photo of a mature male at
http://www.calweb.com/users/d/djhanson/nijsseni.htm )

Given proper conditions, if they aren't ready to spawn yet, they will be
shortly!

-- kaycy & dj

http://www.calweb.com/users/d/djhanson/index.htm