Re: A. viejita //A.females

PAR JANSSON wrote:

> Hi Apisto-folks.
>
> My A. viejita pair spawned after some weeks in the new tank, but
> after a day I find the male dead! I dont know why, maybe chased to
> death? But a 220L (55Gal) tank must be big enough for hiding, if
> the female dont want him near the cave. Is the Viejita female mean
> to the male during the spawn?

Yes, but a 220L tank should be large enough for him to avoid the female, PROVIDED
that there are no other males with territories in the same tank. If the female
drove the male out of his territory (now hers) into another male's territory,
he'd definitely have problems. My experience with macmasteri-group species makes
me think that the spawning and the male's death are only coincidental. Males
usually can handle any female's attack.

> Many Apisto-females look alike. May they cross between species,

There are several reports about crossings of macmasteri-group species as well as
in other species-groups. The more closely related two species are to each other,
the more likely to see cross-breeding. These crosses usually are not very fertile
and often deformed.

> or between colormorphs?

color morphs are just variations in a single species.

> If I mix a doublered A. cacatuoides male and a regular female, what
> kind of fry can i expect to get?

Mostly regular A. cacatuoides, I'd bet. The domestic forms' colors  probably are
not dominant in any species genetic make-up.

Mike Wise