Re: R: check the photo and ID please

Hi,
This thread may not help you. It's hard to tell with the photo (good
photos, but still hard). I lean to the male as a clear njisseni, but I
think the female's a panduro. I want her to be a njisseni for you, but I
don't think so.
The mouth seems sharper than a big lipped, solid-jawed njisseni. The
caudal blotch is also panduro-like (I have to disagree with Kathy
there). The lack of black on the throat isn't a consistent indicator due
to the variety within this species.
Mixed panduro/njisseni shipments seem to be coming from Peru these days,
just to make threads like this more relevant than we like. They used to
be one or the other, but now, it's common to find mixes. i wonder if
it's done at the point of shipping, or if the pressure to find more and
more of these fish has taken collectors to new locations where they both
occur.
I really would study photos of the lower jaws of njisseni and panduro,
then have a good long look at your fish before you decide. I think you
should send out airplane tickets to Italy for the people who've
responded and we'll gladly try to help!
-Gary