Re: A. juruensis

> I looked at Kaycy's photos of A. trifasciata and I'm not sure what it
> is. Do you still have these fish or their offspring?
No. I haven't had any apistos for about 6 months. These I haven't had
since 96.

> They have a very
> unusual set of features. The dorsal looks much like that of a very
> mature trifasciata-group male, having only one highly elongated dorsal
> fin lappet, the rest being only 2/3 its size. But this may be due to
> loss of detail where it blends into the black background. Did this fish
> have more than one lappet extend significantly above the rest of the
> dorsal?
The red lappet seems to be the longest and there are two more long ones,
not as long as the red, in front of the red one and one a bit shorter
behind it with a bit of red. The fish, if I remember correctly, are only
about 1 1/2" long.

> The tail looks round like trifasciata-group species, too, but
> the coarse rows of spots are very atypical (It did have a round tail
> didn't it, or is it just a short lyretail hidden in the surroundings of
> the photo?).
No, it is a round tail.

> So, what is it? I honestly don't know. Without
> additional information on the structure of the dorsal and caudal fins,
> I'd have to say it's a species unknown to me that's probably related to
> A. staecki.
Should I just id it as and 'Apisto sp.' or just remove the photo?

> Interesting fish. Hope this helps.
Some what.

Kaycy

http://www.calweb.com/users/d/djhanson/index.htm