Re: Breeding Activity

>I have not done any water changes over 10% in the last month (waiting to
>get a RO filter installed), and all of the sudden I have breeding
>activity in the tank with 3 different species simultaneously!  1st the
>Blue Rams spawned, and due to a cory in the tank, either ate the eggs,
>or lost the defensive struggle to the cory. (Which was promptly
>removed!)  The next day, the Caucatoids had a batch of eggs in a coconut
>shell and they are currently in the "wriggler" stage.  and one day later
>one of the Borelli males (I think) spawned with the large unknown wild
>caught female. in a clay pot. (What do I do with these fish?)

One idea is leave them in there, especially if you don't have a grow out
tank ready. Even if you lose these spawns it will be good practice for the
parents and they'll most likely spawn again and again and again. And
apistos should come with a warning sign that says,"Do not keep with cories!"

>I niether expected nor was ready for any of these to spawn in the
>display tank in the living room, and I am looking at putting a couple
>other 30 gallon tanks together to separate them if the fry reach free
>swim.  What is the best way to quickly prepare a "grow out" tank to
>house the fry?  Also, If I can get some pictures up on the web I would
>love to have some help Id-ing some of the unknowns.

Transfer water from your original tank. Use an air driven box or foam
filter. It would be great if you can transfer foam from another tank. You
can also transfer some plants or wood or at least gravel - java moss works
well. If you are intent on saving fry you might want to siphon them over
after they are free swimming for 3 days or so. Be prepared to do at least
frequent small water changes and you will need to feed fry at least twice
per day. As for food, BBS is the quickest and easiest to get going. There
are many other great ideas at www.thekrib.com. If you have no other foods,
you can use finely ground flake food.

Good luck!

-Doug Brown