Re: Cuban Fish

He could try "collecting" bass - I think the world record comes from there!

As for larger cichlids there is the well known and gorgeous "Cuban
cichlid", Nandopsis tetracantha. The real interest here might be finding
some of the morphs such as torralbasi, grisea, cincta and lata. Another
hobbyist fish is herichthys ramsdeni. I'm sure there are plenty more - try
the cichlids newsgroup (or write Sven Kullander or Paul Loiselle!). I know
of no Cuban dwarfs but am not anywhere near an expert here. Which reminds
me, I think we should start a petition to get Mike Wise to write a dwarf
book!

As for other fish, I have never seen much on tropical fish of Cuba,
although someone told me there were many active Cuban hobbyists in the 50's
before Fidel closed things off. Needless to say, as a large tropical island
with interesting freshwater geography, I'd think there would plenty of
unique fish there.

>I have a friend who has a possibility of going to Cuba later next year.
>He was wondering about maybe collecting some of those Native fish.  He
>would like to know what fish are available and also what are the
>procedures necessary for bringing those fish out of the country if he is
>allowed to do so.  What are the regulations on this?  He would prefer to
>have smaller fish for this. (under 12" full grown).  He has no
>preference on the type of fish as he keeps a wide variety of fish.
>
>TIA
>
>L. Brinkman

-Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com