Re: ? about A. macmasteri

Kaycy,

Look closely at your fish and the Villavicencio A. macmasteri. Yours shows an
even width, continuous zipper like lateral band, not the broken band of spots
typical of macs. Note that even in its broke state that the band is not of even
width on the mac, but expands greatly behind the lateral spot. Look at the caudal
peduncle spot. Yours shows an irregularly defined spot typical of Rotpunkt while
the Villavicencio mac's spot if fairly regular and oval in shape. Compare the
male dorsal fins. Your fish has blunt tops while the mac has pointed tips that
are more extended. The Villavicencio mac shows abdominal spot rows common, but
not always visible, on A. macmasteri. Yours are like A. sp. Rotpunkt which really
doesn't show these. Ignore color; go with body & fin shape, and the pattern of
the dark markings. They are much more reliable. Based on the photo you show, I
have little doubt that your picture is of A. sp. Rotpunkt (Blue-cheek).

Mike Wise