Re: Apistogramma sp. Schwarzsaum

Bob,

I, too, have wondered why A. sp. Rotpunkt, in all of its many color forms, hasn't
been described yet. It sits in an important phyletic junction between the
regani-group and the macmasteri-group. My guess is that this species is so well
understood in its form and placement that most taxonomists are comfortable with
its status as it now stands. Its common name is as good as a scientific name for
their purposes. They are more interested in some of the less well understood
complexes of species. It takes a lot of work and expense to scientifically
describe a species, so I imagine taxonomists want to put their resources where
they feel they'll do the most good.

Mike Wise