Re: Apistogramma sp. Schwarzsaum

On Wed, 09 Dec 1998 11:56:26 -0700, Mike & Diane Wise
<apistowise@bewellnet.com> wrote:

> Sorry, Ken, the Code states categorically that no one can name a species after
> themselves.

i searched the Code for the article governing this, but came up
empty. could you point me to the section?

while perusing, i did scan the "Criteria for Publication" chapter,
and found the following guidelines:

(Chapter III, Article 8)

a) Criteria to be met. - a work must satisfy the following criteria:

  (1) it must be issued publicly for the purpose of providing a
      permanent scientific record;

  (2) it must be obtainable, when first issued, free of charge or
      by purchase;  (that covers just about everything...)

  (3) it must have been produced in an edition containing
      simultaneously obtainable copies by a method that assures
      numerous identical copies. (certainly covers magazines.)

i can see only item (1) as being a detriment to publishing in a
monthly hobbyist magazine (or club newsletter.)

i realize that taxonomy may be a very ego-centralized branch of
scientific study, but there are many knowledgeable folks out there
without degrees in ichthyology that have a lot of good poop to say
about the species they collect and keep.

(thump! geez, where's that soapbox come from?)