Re: Fish articles, was Re: Apistogramma sp. Schwarzsaum

Mike & Diane Wise wrote:

> So, what to do? Easy. Those of you out there who write exclusively for commercial
> mags, write one or more good articles for a local or national club each year. For
> those who are afraid their writing isn't good enough for publication, submit
> something to your local or national club. You'd be surprised at the response you
> will get.

Hi Mike,
I'm not sure about the competition between club and money writing - I
know Wayne Leibel does South American Cichlid Group articles, Randy
Carey constantly does freebies and if I join a national group, which
until I joined the ASG and SACG last month was only for killies, I
always send stuff to their journals. I don't know of any of the
'commercial writers' on the list who don't do club publications too. The
perception of people writing exclusively for bucks may be there, but I
don't think it's real. There are so many interesting club publications
their free work just disappears unless you read them all, in which case
you'd need to write for bucks to afford the memberships!
I do see a lot of articulate people on this list who should sit down and
structure something for readers who aren't on-line. The more voices, the
more we all learn.
-Gary Elson