Re: spawning rams

> When I have a spawning in my dwarf tanks I delay water changes until the fry
> have hatched or free swimming.

Actually I think that water changes can be made, but in a gradual sense.  Use
airline tubing to slowly drain the tank down a few inches.  Using a airline into
a milk bottle at the same level will let the water out gradually and won't
disturb the fishes with rapid water level changes.

Then put in new water the same way with airline tubing, very slowly.

> If you start disturbing the tank at this stage it may indeed disturb the
> pair to the detriment of the spawn.  Provided your tank maintenance is good
> it will do no harm to delay your water change.  Hopefully this spawning will
> be successful but if not they seem to be doing everything right and they
> will again.
> Just a thought, it may be a good idea if you leave a small night light on
> during the night, particularly if there are other fish in your tank.

I agree, that is what I do when I have fry in a tank where the other inhabitants
might eat them in the dark when the parents can't watch as well.  Watch out for
those catfish.

Best Fishes,

Mr. Fish