Re: R: check the photo and ID please

kathy@thekrib.com wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Frauley/Elson wrote:
>
> > The mouth seems sharper than a big lipped, solid-jawed njisseni. The
> > caudal blotch is also panduro-like (I have to disagree with Kathy
> > there). The lack of black on the throat isn't a consistent indicator due
> > to the variety within this species.
>
> Gary,
> I agree with you on the large caudal blothc/streak on the tail in panduro,
> but I have only seen this on panduro male's.  I haven't seen this on a
> female...has anyone else.

Kathy,

I have, on 2 fully mature females. They were wild caught and I thought I had
picked a pair because the smaller one always showed a caudal patch. The other
would display her patch depending on how she felt. I kept waiting for the "male"
to develop more blue on the flanks and more elongated ventral fins but it never
did.

Mike Wise