Re: Apistogramma trifasciata

George,

Your fish are probably too small to tell right now. Actually there are 3 trifasciata
like species. The following are ways to tell them apart:

A. trifasciata: Diagonal abdominal stripe always visible; lateral band widens toward
the posterior with blue wash above it; tail usually covered with rows of tiny dots.

A. maciliensis: Diagonal band rare, when seen (only on largest males) is broken on live
specimens (present on most large preserved specimens); lateral band like A. trifasciata
only noticeably wider, with yellowish band above; tail is unspotted.

A. sp. Rio Mamoré: Diagonal band always absent; lateral band usually visible only on
the posterior half of the body; tail without spots, being red or blue depending on
color form.