Re: Apisto. sp 'red wedge'

Gary,

A. sp. Red-wedge/Rotkeil is now considered the same population as the type
material of A. uaupesi. A. sp. Segelflossen is probably the same species, or at
most a sibling species.

Schmettkamp introduced the Segelflossen/Sailfin form to the hobby in 1978.
Koslowski introduced the Rotkeil/Red-wedge color form of this species to the
hobby in 1980. The more colorful Red-wedge form appears to be found only in the
uppermost Rio Negro of Brazil. The Segelflossen/Sailfin form comes from the upper
and middle Rio Orinoco of Venezuela. Another sibling species, A. sp.
Blutkehl/Cut-throat comes from the upper & middle Rio Orinoco of Colombia.
These members of the iniridae-complex in the pertensis-group are black water
species. They should be treated like A. sp. Breitbinden/Broad-banded and D.
filamentosus with which they are found in many areas.

If you're interested in the refs just let me know.

Mike Wise