Re: apisto specialization

Gary,

The toughest species I have kept has to be A. iniridae. The ones I
have worked with were wild and required 0 hardness and pH of no more
than 4.0 for the eggs to develop.

I worked with them a long time gradually lowering the pH with each
spawn. At about 4.5 I got the first signs of fertile eggs - a few
larval fry. From there down I gradually got better results. I even
spawned them successfully at 3.5.

Needless to say, at these extremes it is very difficult to manage the
water.

For the most part I have found that wild apistos are fairly easy if
you give them what they need.

Bob

---Frauley/Elson <fraulels@minet.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm working on an article about South American dwarfs (apisto and
> dicrossus) that are highly adapted to their specialized environments
> (aren't they all...). When I say 'adapted' I mean very adapted. In
> effect, what I want is list member feedback on apistos that are
> absolutely unforgiving about water parameters - the toughest apistos
> breed and maintain. From my own experience, Turucui and Atahualpa were
> the toughest, but that was due to aggression.
> I'd like to see the broad picture of what people have experienced with
> unaggressive, 'delicate' apistos. What are the delicate apistos, in
the
> opinions and from the experience of the many on this list?
> Thanks, Gary

Archives"!