Re: bounced messages.

I guess since no one else will discuss this antibiotic, I will. I just finished
talking with my friend who is a veterinarian and fish keeper. I also looked up
the drug on the internet. Here's what I found.

Chloramphenicol is an inexpensive and fairly effective antibiotic on gram
positive and some gram negative bacteria (most fish bacterial diseases are gram
negative). It has no effect on protozoan and parasitic infestations. It is
readily absorbed through the skin so the fish don't have to eat it for it to
work.

Now the down side. This drug won't work on most fish diseases except fin rot and
cotton mouth diseases. It has a very nasty side effect on some people. It causes
Gray's Syndrome in some people. It is fatal to most infants and fetuses. Between
1 in 11K and 1 in 40K people who come in contact with Chloramphenicol (they don't
have to swallow it, just touch it) develop aplastic anemia (bone marrow develops
abnormal red blood cells that can't carry oxygen). Death isn't uncommon. 1 in 30K
people who come in contact with it develop Leukopenia (commonly fatal) and those
that survive have an extremely high incidence of developing Leukemia later in
life. Veterinarians report that it causes anorexia in some dogs and sea mammals
and that it is next to impossible to get the animals to start eating again. There
are fears that Chloramphenicol can remain in the tissue of food animals long
enough to affect human consumers. For this reason it is not prescribed for food
animals in the U.S.

Chloramphenicol once was sold over the counter as a pet medicine in the U.S., but
no more. I have an unopened package of capsules sold by Wardley's back in the 70s
that I keep in my aquarium museum (double tube immersion heaters, lead bubbling
divers, that kind of thing). The package is double wrapped and locked away from
my family with a note on it to never open it and to call Vicki (my vet) or Poison
Control to dispose of it.