Re: raising cichlids without their parents

In a message dated 1/24/99 2:29:02 PM Central Standard Time, alexp@idirect.com
writes:

<< Yes, and fish sent in massive shipments have a high mortality rate,
 especially when they are sold for very low prices to people who haven't got
 a clue as to how to take care of them.  (And yes, when I was eleven years
 old, I did it wrong too).  I realize that this is a big business.  I also
 realize that it is the way in which many people world-wide make a living. >>

I think you gave the best reason for raising fry away from their parents. I
always pull the first spawn from any new Apisto, or other Cichlid for that
matter, to insure I have the largest number of fry to distribute to other
hobbyists. When I have "enough" I may allow the parents to raise their own fry
or in most cases pass the pair to another person. This way I may do a small
part to decrease the demand for wild caught fish, (which isn't my personal
reason, I just like to have others enjoy a fish I have enjoyed).

I have never found any conclusive evidence that artificially reared fry are
less likely to exhibit the innate behavior of fry rearing than any other
method. It took millions of years to develop those behaviors and would take
millions of years to diminish the same behavior. Those are only excuses for
your personal enjoyment of watching fry care and trying to impose or
intimidate others into your view. I've been keeping & breeding fish for more
than 40 years and my goal is to have fun and learn about my favorite hobby,
not anthropomorphise my fish.

Tom Wojtech