Re: reducing water hardness for breeding discus

I am in El Paso, and our water is much worse than yours so Ha! Anyway I
have found torf bomb mixed with zeolite  to be effective. If that
doesn't work you can try steam distillation by getting 2 5 gal jugs
paint one black fill it with water run a tub from the one filled with
water to the empty and and as the water evaporate it will condensate in
the other jug if it is placed lower down in a cooler spot. This makes
very nice water and then prepare it by running a torf bomb and then you
will have great water. There is always easy solution to most problems
just do things naturally thats what aquariums are about. Update us on
your progress I will be aquiring discus soon, one of very few out in El
Paso and I am using this method.

Lewis

>From owner-apisto@listbox.com Sun Jan 24 20:27:19 1999
>Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:57:19 -0800 (PST)
>From: David Sanchez <barbax2@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: reducing water hardness for breeding discus
>To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
>

>Thats not an easy one! Every keeper of soft water species struggles
>with it. Personaly I would suggest an R.O. system in the long run its
>the best choice. Alternativly you can try rain water if you have the
>space for several barrels. Another option may be a  well, I have one
>and I get water with less then 1DH, <1KH, and a Ph of 4.5.It did not
>cost me very much to put in my well and I got all the tools I needed
>at the local hardware store. Just some Idea's good luck
> Dave
>

>---"Russell E. Stevens, III" <topgun3@gte.net> wrote:
>>
>> in dallas,tx water is hard...approx 200pm...am looking for an
>inexpensive
>> way to reduce the hardess thakinginto accoun multiple water changes
>of
>> 30% or more are performed per week, thanks, russ

>Archives"!

Archives"!