Re: Enhanced description for ID

David A. Youngker wrote:

> >After reading David's description I was confused by the vague
> >allusions to certain features than I should be, and it's probably
> >due to the figures of speech used. (You write too much like Ingo
> >Koslowski!)...
>
> This, then, is not a good thing?

You obviously haven't translated his prose!

> slight traces of dimorphism
>
> Source:
> I touched on the non-availability concerning ... source. It seems that the
> wholesaler  ...  commonly combines unknowns and differing "lots" and locations
> without regard to tracking info. ... its accuracy would be very questionable

Even so, knowing what was there would narrow down what & where these fish are and
come from.

> Body shape:
> body shape that ... (of) A. piauiensis. It's also a good match for generalized
> fin shapes.
> Differences include ... A more pronounced "underbite" to the mouth.

Many do.

> vertical bars ... continuous. red patches between the (dorsal) blotches.

> The dorsal itself begins at the leading (front) edge of the 2nd vertical bar
> (discounting the orbital), the extension begins at the leading edge of the
> 5th, and the dorsal ends at the trailing edge of the 6th.

What does this mean? It sounds like your describing the basal insertion of the
dorsal fin and the change from spines to rays in it. This is the same in all
apistos.

> male (dorsal fin) extension long
>
> The ventral fins don't appear as tapered as most other apistos
> Both ventral and anal fins have black leading edges.
>
> Lateral spot:
>
> no  lateral spot, although there is a small,
> clearly-defined pectoral spot on half the specimens.
>
> Lateral band:
> isn't displayed with any frequency or predictability.
>
> Caudal spot:
>
> The caudal spot occupies the middle third of the penduncle, rectangular in
> shape with the long axis parallel to the fish's.
>
> males  display head-to-tail  these two darkened *considerably* while sparring,
> including finnage.

Many species do this, especially those of the regani-, Rotpunkt-, steindachneri-,
and macmasteri-groups.

> Final point:
>
> My library doesn't presently include specialized titles on the subject.
>
> And thanks for the effort, Mike.
>
> -Y-
>
> David A. Youngker
> http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10
> nestor10@mindspring.com

This description could match a dozen different species. Knowing what kind of
lateral band it has would be helpful. All apistos except A. nijsseni show a
lateral band at some time - even nijsseni does as juvenile fish. Does it have an
abdomonial markings? You don't mention a suborbital stripe, so I assume that it
usually isn't visible.

Now for my best guess (and that's what it is right now). The round tail without
pattern, low even dorsal, no lateral spot, oddly shaped caudal spot (a horizontal
rectangle), indistinct suborbital stripe, black edged fins, & dorsal spots with
red patches between them all point to A. sp. Rotpunct. This is a fairly variable
fish, colorwise. Check the following web site and see if it is simiar to your
fish: http://www.thekrib/Apisto/A-sp-puerto narino.htm#0

If this isn't the fish, I'd suggest you give them a couple of month to mature and
try me again. Hope this helps.

best wishes,

Mike