Re: Enhanced description for ID

>> Source:
>> I touched on the non-availability concerning ... source. It seems that
the
>> wholesaler  ...  commonly combines unknowns and differing "lots" and
locations
>> without regard to tracking info. ... its accuracy would be very
questionable

>Even so, knowing what was there would narrow down what & where these fish
are and
>come from.

Trust me - I'm not the one withholding the info. I long ago realized the
importance of this...

>> The dorsal itself begins at the leading (front) edge of the 2nd vertical
bar
>> (discounting the orbital), the extension begins at the leading edge of
the
>> 5th, and the dorsal ends at the trailing edge of the 6th.
>
>What does this mean? It sounds like your describing the basal insertion of
the
>dorsal fin and the change from spines to rays in it. This is the same in
all
>apistos.

Well, that might be a little difficult to determine on your own. 5 Apistos
and no references, remember? The "correctness" of my terms may stem more
from my interest in behavioral patterns and personalities than physiology
and anatomical precision. Could you not spare just a little slack here - I
am trying?

<...Check the following web site and see if it is simiar to your
>fish: http://www.thekrib/Apisto/A-sp-puerto narino.htm#0

Sorry, but I'd already determined that the closest match among Erik's photos
were the set I'd pointed out.

>If this isn't the fish, I'd suggest you give them a couple of month to
mature and
>try me again. Hope this helps.

I have a camera - just looking for someone with a scanner that doesn't
charge $10 per photo (I'd rather spend my limited resources on the fish). I
intend to document them at various stages, etc. Once I have them, I could
post them to the site and at least you could see the fish.

Unless someone on the list is willing to scan - contact me directly with a
snail-mail address and I'll provide the paper copies.

>best wishes,
>
>Mike

I realize how frustrating this can be for someone trying to help "in the
blind". I appreciate the effort you've extended.

-Y-

David A. Youngker
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10
nestor10@mindspring.com