Re: ph, gravel, and filters

Paul Evans wrote:

[snip]

> The other theme from the responses to the list was
> peat.  I am thinking of augmenting my UGF w/powerheads
> with an externel canister filter like Fluval so I
> can use peat.  Are these filters quiet?  This is
> an important consideration.  I presently get very
> nice filtration with the UGF and 35kg of gravel.
> Sould I replace the UGF or augment it?  This is not
> a breeding tank.  Also, I presently use only plastic
> plants.

Paul,

  I have that very setup on my twenty gallon tank.  It is silent.  I
have a Fluval 401 and an Aquaclear powerhead (don't remember the size,
but it has reversible capabilities).  In the Fluval I have gravel from
an old aquarium (for instant biological filtration), peat and poly wool.
It works great at keeping pH around 6.8 and ammonia, nitrite at zero (UG
also helps with this).  I highly recommend the setup.

Good luck!

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, AB
(780) 464-9635