Re: reducing water hardness for breeding discus

>> As far as I know using peat through your filter will lower the pH in
>>  your tank, but I don't think it actually lowers the hardness.

>Yep.  It really does.  SOmehow the things that come out of the peat will
bind
>the minerals in the water and then... I don't know exactly.  I think it
forces
>them to precipitate.
>
>Bob Dixon

The *somehow* is cationic exchange. Sphagnum peat is recommended most often
because it is usually the richest source of hydrogen ions.

It lowers your pH by dumping H+ into the mix, effectively consuming the
alkalinity. It lowers calcium and magnesium hardness because those divalent
ions readily fill the "holes" left through the loss of the hydrogen. As this
is merely an exchange and the peat is "absorbing" those ions, nothing
precipitates but wet peat.

The degree of acidification and softening on your water supply depends in
the largest part on the availability of the hydrogen from the particular
sample of peat you're using. This can vary not only between sources but
between samples from the same source. It also hinges on the balance of
general hardness and alkalinity.

I thought this was old hat for the list...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10
nestor10@mindspring.com