Re: ph, gravel, and filters

I have been using childrens play sand in my Apisto tanks for 10 years
now and I've never had any problems. In fact, the reason I started
using sand was because it became very apparent to me that most gravel
available (at the time) was too large and the fish weren't able to dig
and sift through the sand like is their natural behavior. Many of the
old litrature on dwarfs in fact mentions sand as a substrate! In my
estimation i believe sand to be a very good choice for the husbandry
of Apisto's.
Dave

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/28/99 2:20:44 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> K.Laidlaw@roe.ac.uk writes:
>
> > I use childrens play sand in my tanks.  This is available
> >  in toy stores very cheaply.  20kg cost only 3UKP (~5USD).
> >  It needs very thorough rinsing but after that looks good in
> >  the aquarium and perfect for the small mouths of Apistos.
> >  They like to chew it up and sift it through their gills in
> >  search of food.
>
> I've heard of sand getting stucki n the jaws of Apistos, leaving
them unable
> to close their mouths.  I would be hesitant to use it.
>
> Bob Dixon

Archives"!