Re: nijsseni - spawning problems

Hi Alex,
In September I bought a pair of Nijsseni and found out the hard way that
they had spawned.  I have them in  a densely planted 30gal long with a large
piece of bog wood in a clearing in the center with java moss and fern
attached to it.  After noticing something small floating past going against
the current from the filter, I took a closer look and to my surprise there
were at least 10 to 12 fry!  Before the fry were discovered I had thought of
getting rid of the Nijsseni because they had bullied all the other fish, ( a
pair of A. cacatoudies, 3 otocats, 1 zebra pleco, 1 butterfly pleco and the
3 epiplatys chaperi) into one corner.   I ended up buying more tanks to
accommadate these fish.
I left the plecos and the otocats in there with them.  Since I do not have
any  algae to speak of, the plecos and cats compete for the frozen shrimp
allowing the Nijsseni something to beat on besides each other.
Anyway, at this time, they have spawned again as soon as I removed the first
batch after I noticed the female chasing the larger of the fry.
The male is a good parent and I left him with her and the clutch.  The
second spawn was more evident because I knew what to look for and was amazed
that she laid the eggs  on the bogwood where I could watch the whole process
from egg to wrigglers.  There are about 12 in this batch too.
My water PH is 6 and the water is very soft.  I started this tank with peat
filtration and I now use two sponges in the filter and one on the intake to
prevent the fry from becoming sucked in.  I do a partial water change once a
week and replenish the tank with pure steam distilled water form the local
grocery store.  I feed them frozen shrimp and cucumber occasionally for the
cats.   The fry like to nip this too.
My next problem will be to prevent myself from looking for a female for my
curviceps and what to do with all the fry.
Good luck!