Re: ph, gravel, and filters

> Anyone out there got any Hawaiian black beach sand?

Mike,
I lived in Hawaii (the Big Island) for 1.5 years and ran a
couple of tanks (not apistos).  I often wondered if it
would be safe to use the black volcanic sand.  I didn't
though through fear of their being some hardness from the
tiny pieces of coral which would be almost impossible to
remove. Mixed in with the black there were always green
bits as well which I did know the composition of and were
sharp like small pieces of glass.

Would look nice though,
Ken.