Re: ph, gravel, and filters

I use a sand-blasting sand called Tex-Blast. See, something good comes from
Texas! (No, no, bad - bad Colorado boy - naughty, naughty!). It's very uniform in
size (1 - 1.5 mm). My apistos can mouth it easily and it's still easy to clean
with a gravel cleaner. It doesn't take forever to settle like play sand. It also
has very good porosity so I don't get dead areas in the lower layers like finer
sand. I've checked it for carbonate grains but don't find any - mostly quartz,
chert, and feldspars. It's an over all tan color. I wish it was darker but it's
acceptable.

Anyone out there got any Hawaiian black beach sand?

Mike Wise