Re: another bounce : RO water

In a message dated 1/31/99 1:13:05 AM Mountain Standard Time, ocarroll@acm.org
writes:

>  I'd like to come up with a system where I pump the water out
>  of
>  the can and right into the tank for water changes.  I was looking at
>  some
>  little pumps at the LFS today, but the guy told me that they can pump
>  water
>  only so far up (implying that the water would never make it out of the
>  can).

Most pumps have a limit of how far they can "DRAW" the water up to the pump.
But the vast majority of small _submersible_ pond pumps will PUSH the water up
a distance consistant with its pressure capability.  For reference, 15 psi
will lift a column of water 35 feet, or about ten meters.  The scale is
linear, so figure it from there.  Get a submersible pump and don't worry about
the horizontal distance.  water is pretty easy to move sideways.  Unless your
fish room is a large, converted warehouse, you're not likely to reach the
pumps horizontal capability.

Bob Dixon