Re: Apisto beginner summary and new questions ;-)

I have had similar experiences. In the wild many of our south american
fish have rather short life spans because of the harsh conditions they
face. In the dry season food becomes scarce and many are eaten by
predetors. The common Cardinal Tetra which I have had live to 6 years
and still going in my show tank are actually annual fish in the
amazon. Bettas are very similar where in the wild the'll live a year
to year and a half. Walt Maurus did a research project called pla kat
and found under optimum conditions they could live to 5-6 years. So
dont be afraid to get some A.cacatoudies or A.borellii. Besides their
so dog on easy to breed your bound to have many more by the end of the
year then you can handle.

Good luck
Dave

---Kathy Olson <kathy@thekrib.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Klaus Vancamelbeke wrote:
> >
> > I read in A. Konings cichlidbook (the green one)
> > that cacatuoides only live 9 months, borellii gets
> > to two years average. That's why I didn't pick
> > cacatuoides in the first place, so I guess borellii
> > is my next choice.
>

> Klaus,
>
> Must have been wild.  We have had cacatuoides live over 3 years, now
> borelli I haven't had them last that long.
>
> Kathy

Archives"!