Re: apistos and planted tanks

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> I just moved a pair of A. cacatuoides that have not spawned before into a 30
> gallon with one sword, a dozen crypts, and lots of cool shadowy places.  It
> also has 90 watts of fully reflected Tritons, in anticipation of my upcoming
> plant order.  The female is yellowing nicely, and I see more of both of them
> than I did in a ten gallon tank with only a 15-watt, standard bulb.  I'd say
> that light level is a secondary, or even tertiary issue.
>
> Bob Dixon

Hi,
To me. it's a matter of taste. My apistos will live and breed in tanks
with bright light and shaded areas, or in shaded tanks. Maybe it's my
killie-guy eye, but I think they look better in dim lighting so that the
delicate aspects of their coloration can outshine the fluorescents.
I also think jazz died in the forties and Apistogramma njisseni could
never become boring to keep. None of these things are basic principles,
but they are potentially interesting to discuss.
-Gary