A. cacatoides "Red-Flash"

First let me apologize if I am screwing this up. As a list newbie I'm
entitled to make a few mistakes.

I recieved a private (I think) E-mail from a list member asking about
my cacatoides 'Red-flash'. I sent the reply thinking it would go to
the list, but, I think it only went to the original sender. I am
hoping someone on the list can help out with this.

Please excuse me if this is a duplicate

Bob
Thanks for asking about the "Red Flash". You notice I put a question
mark after this ID. I use the name red flash because the only picture
I have seen that comes close to showing what these fish look like is
in the Aqualog pg. 26 bottom right. In this photo they are called
red-flash, however, in the photo immediately above a similar looking
fish is called gold-orange.

I first obtained these in 1995? (I'm at work and my notes are at home)
and they were called German Orange. The fish were sold in pairs and I
think that whoever exported them wanted to slow their spread as the
first generation of offsprung were some of the ugliest cacs I have
ever seen. I don't know what type of females they were paired with,
but, definately not the same as the male.

I spent about 4 generations crossbreeding them to get a good looking
fish and the strains I now have are outstanding. Many of the males
have solid orange caudals of the most vibrant orange I have ever seen.
The dorsals are also very orange as are the anal fins. The general
body is a yellow orange and they are very striking. Of course there is
a degree of variation in them and a few of the fry are still a more
traditional "double red" type. There is also variation in the degree
to which the caudal is colored. Most are at least 50% with probably
half being 75% - 100% solid orange.

I brought quite a few of these to the ACA convention in Chicago and
quickly sold them all. I have also sold quite a few of them to Anchor
Bay Aquarium who has sold them as well. I believe that at about the
time mine were imported there were also some of these in the Miami
area. I don't keep as close of touch with other breeders as I used to
and I don't know if anyone else is keeping these now, or if there is
an accepted name for this color strain. Perhaps someone else on the
list knows?

I am not a fish photographer (this has caused me frequent regret in
the past) and I don't have any photos of them. I also only know of the
Aqualog photos. I seem to recall that Cichlid News ran a very poor
photo of this strain in their Whats New section about 3-4 years ago.

I currently am sitting on a ton of these and would be interested is
selling them when my shipping weather improves.

Bob